Friday, September 08, 2006

That's good, that's bad

Written in the style of "That's Good! That's Bad!" by Margery Cuyler


My daughter was invited by her dear friend Kayla to an End-of-Summer party. McKelle was quite excited to go. Lots of fun games and activities were planned, with lots of pre-teen girlish giggling.

Oh, that's good!

No, that's bad!

Michael was finally able to take off a day from the hospital, after a summer of watching over newbies, and planned a camping trip THE SAME WEEKEND as the party.

Oh, that's bad!

No, that's good!

Michael was able to take the three older boys to the campsite early. They would have some male bonding time and then McKelle and I would follow them up on Saturday with the little boys, after she had attended her party.

Oh, that's good!

No, that's bad!

Mason was up til 3am the night before I was to leave, and when I finally got him to sleep, Max woke up and wanted to come into bed with me. After being kicked and whined at the rest of the short night, I was dead tired for the 5 hour drive and I had never been to the campsite before.

Oh, that's bad!

No, that's good!

By taking two vehicles, we were able to bring Michael's and the kids' bikes and they had a lot of fun on the trails around the campsite. There were lots of other families camping...with kids...and bikes. Lots of fun for everyone.

Oh, that's good!

No, that's bad!

I forgot the stroller, so I couldn't go on the trails with Max and Mason.

Oh, that's bad!

No, that's good!

We went to the beach instead. The shores of Lake Michigan were beautiful...clean sand, very blue water and beautiful tree-lined bluffs just back from the shore. We saw a cormorant swimming and catching fish. We found some petoskey stones. And we even got to see the International Space Station cross the sky on Sunday night. We brought our bathing suits so we could swim and body surf in the waves.

Oh, that's good!

No, that's bad!

The temperature never got above 75 and the water was only about 50! It was waaaaay too cold to swim. Just dipping our toes in caused great shock to the body!

Oh, that's bad!

No, that's good!

Since it wasn't too hot, we were able to enjoy climbing Sleeping Bear Dunes. The hike up was quite exhausting, but the kids did it several times and ran pell-mell down the hill. Micah was the champion dune climber! We were also able to climb up to a lookout point that had a gorgeous view of the whole area.

Oh, that's good!

No, that's bad!

Although I had the front carrier for Mason, I forgot the backpack carrier for Max and he got really cranky on the mile and a half hike. He wouldn't let anyone carry him but me...all. the. way. down! He fell asleep sitting on my shoulders so I had to carry him in my arms for fear he would fall backwards.

Oh, that's bad!

No, that's good!

He was wiped out and had a great night's sleep, unlike the previous night where he climbed onto the full size mattress with Michael and me. He stayed asleep all night long. AND SO DID MASON!

Oh, that's good!

No, that's bad!

The boys slept, but the raccoons did not! Our campsite was invaded by a pack of about 10 very clever raccoons, despite packing everything in Rubbermaid tubs and locking coolers. The 'coons were able to knock the tubs over and get into our food. So much for my yummy zucchini brownies....

Oh, that's bad!

No, that's good!

It was our last morning, and they did NOT get the cooler open, so we were able to eat breakfast and then pack up to go. We hit the road to home about 11am.

Oh, that's good!

No, that's bad!

Everybody else in the state of Michigan hit the road home at the same time. It took us over eight hours to travel 200 miles home. We have now experienced the I-75 Labor Day Crawl!

Oh, that's bad!

No, that's good!

McKelle and I had a great time on our long ride home, telling jokes, laughing, trying to drive right beside Michael and the boys. She thinks I'm weird because I sing along with Sara Brightman. Loudly.

Despite some sibling rivalry, raccoon invasions, a bit of sunburn and very sore arms/shoulders, we made some great memories as a family.

Oh, that's good!

No, that's GREAT!

0 comments: