Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Lighting up the night


One of my favorite memories from childhood Christmases was driving up to Carol Lane to see all the Christmas lights. Every house on the block was lit up, with scenes from various Christmas carols depicted. We always had to beg and plead with my dad to go (see my last entry) but I certainly remember being thrilled by it every year.

A few years ago, I was mesmerized by a Youtube video of a house decorated all out for the holidays. The lights were set on some kind of circuitry to go on and off to the beat of TSO's Wizards in Winter. I watched it over and over and over again. Now, I understand you can buy specialized sets of lights with all the equipment necessary to do this, but I think this original house was one of the first and he did it all on his own. Anyway, I pull it up every year and watch it with the kids.

Imagine our delight when we noticed a house not far from ours this year that had done something similar. We can see it from our front porch, all the lights blinking in time. After doing some Christmas ding-dong-ditch the other night, we drove by with the kids. The house had some kind of broadcaster and we tuned in. We sat and watched the light display for about 15 minutes and the kids thought it was very cool.

I haven't seen a Carol Lane in our little town, but hopefully, the kids will have some good memories of driving around to see Christmas lights.

0 comments: